The average person spends 90,000 hours over their lifetime—one-third of their life—at work. So shouldn’t that time be enjoyable and meaningful? Senior care careers offer meaning, opportunities for growth, and challenges that expand your capacity for empathy and critical thinking. So could a career in senior living be right for you? Here’s what you need to know about making a change.
The Benefits of Senior Living Careers
Opportunities in senior living are exploding, thanks to an aging population and increased interest in ensuring seniors have an excellent quality of life. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that from 2001 through 2014, growth in senior living outpaced growth in other career sectors by 3.7 percent. This growth will accelerate over the next decade, and there may even be a shortage of senior living workers. High demand means higher wages and more job opportunities. So now is a great time to switch.
When you work in senior living, you have the chance to put a wide range of talents to work. There are jobs available for people of every skill and educational level—from entry-level positions for compassionate people to highly skilled positions such as nurses, social workers, and administrators. Senior living careers allow you to:
- Make a difference in the life of a senior and their family.
- Learn from seniors who have accumulated a lifetime of wisdom and knowledge.
- Think critically and solve complex problems.
- Build close, meaningful relationships with co-workers.
- Find an outlet for a wide range of skills. Senior living careers can put virtually any talent to work. For example, if you love guitar, you might teach a guitar class or perform for the community. If you’re an amateur artist, you could start an art club or plan an art show.
Is Working with Seniors Right for You?
So is it time to make a change to a career in senior living? Senior living might be right for you if:
- You want a job filled with meaning.
- You’re tired of working hard but feeling like you don’t make a difference.
- You like seniors, and have a strong ability to connect with them.
- You’re not using all of your talents at your current job.
- You crave job security and opportunities for growth.
- You want profound and meaningful relationships with co-workers who share your mission and commitment.
- You think creatively and are willing to try novel solutions to various challenges.
Arbor Company Culture
The Arbor Company is one of the nation’s premier senior living companies. We have served seniors in independent living, assisted living, and memory care communities for more than 30 years. We’re on a mission to be the best option in senior care and make a difference in the life of every senior who walks through our doors.
It’s not enough to keep seniors safe and healthy. These valuable members of our community have already given so much. They’ve changed the world, fought in wars abroad, raised families who give back to others, and sculpted meaningful legacies in communities across the nation. They deserve an amazing final chapter to their life. We never stop working to give that to them. If that’s a mission you can invest in, we would love to invest in you.
Leadership and Other Job Opportunities at Arbor
Arbor is more than just another senior living company. We set standards for senior care, and our work has reshaped the entire industry. We believe that anyone can have a great retirement, even when age and physical infirmity make certain tasks difficult. We see seniors as fonts of wisdom and kindness, and we treat them with the dignity and respect they deserve.
We believe that happy residents need happy staff. So we build growth opportunities into each job, and offer competitive compensation packages. Many of our team members have worked their way up to positions of leadership.